Today, I discharged a patient after three days of confinement. She is suspected to have parvoviral infection with symptoms of bloody diarrhea, lethargy, inappetence and vomiting. Although her vaccination is updated, it is still possible to contact the disease especially if the dog has poor immune system. She is better than before and seems fighting the disease by being responsive and alert. She was given IV fluid and 10 different kinds of medicines/supplements such as antibiotic, antiemetic, antacid, immunostimulant, vitamins, steroids, antiviral and antihemorrhagic. Aside from that, she was force fed with Prescription Diet A/D or intestinal diet. Because of financial problem, she was discharged earlier and with less diagnostic tests. I just hope that she will be taken cared of by her owners. I believe that she has a great chance of survival. Upon follow-up, the dog is now okay and doing very well. He is now scheduled to continue the vaccination schedule.

Today, an 8 year-old long-haired chihuahua was presented with distended abdomen. She is also recumbent and in pain since yesterday night. The owner refused to conduct laboratory tests due to financial constraint. The heartbeat is slower than normal and there is breathing difficulty. The abdomen has flat drum-like sound when tapped. Because of lack of diagnostic tests I could just guess. It could be liver, kidney or heart problem as well as tumor and perforations. I just recommended confinement for probable abdominocentesis as well as supportive therapy like IV fluids, diuretics, antibiotics and vitamins. I also give low sodium diet while monitoring the condition. I am crossing my fingers with this one.

Elizabethan collar or simply E-collar is recommended for dogs and cats to stop them from scratching and licking a particular area or wound after surgery or the skin lesion. It would require strict client compliance so owners should resist the urge to remove it even if the pet looks depressed, bothered or mad. Trust me, it is for the best.

Today, we had a case of gangrene on the right ear of a 7 year-old cat. I needed to anesthetized him and excise the affected area. I used atropine and zoletil as well as antibiotics. He is currently confined for continuous monitoring. We also put an e-collar and even socks. For food, fed him with prescription diet a/d. I hope that he gets well soon.